Wednesday, January 6, 2010

To Die For ......



Here are the amazing vintage bronze jewelry dies I found in Pakistan. As I am so very fortunate to have these creations in my possession, I feel obliged to help the Afghan people who created these incredible works of art who were forced to sell to traders so they could eat. I plan to send a percentage of all pieces made from these dies to the Central Asia Institute who build schools for boys and girls in poor rural areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Below is a finished piece next to the die that was used to create it. Notice that the finished pendant is quite a bit smaller as the PMC shrinks when fired.



Greg Mortenson, co-founder and Executive Director of Central Asia Institute (and author of Three Cups of Tea) will be on PBS this Friday night with Bill Moyers to discuss his new book"Stones into Schools". Don't miss it!






2 comments:

Melinda Orr - BANDANA GIRL said...

Hi, found your blog on a google search for Afghanistan Jewelry Dies...these are just beautiful and I'm interested to know if they are avail by purchase from you or anywhere else...I work primarily in sheet metal but have a few pieces I've been working with and love~ This is wonderful post and folling your blog!

PK Studios said...

Hi Melinda, I purchased the majority of my dies in a bazaar in Islamabad but every once in awhile I come across one on Ebay. They are not easy to find. Good luck and thanks for following! Cheers, Penny